Pune News | Khadakwasla Dam’s Water Storage Reaches 60%: Pune Municipal Corporation to Review Water Cut Decision

0

Pune: Pune News | The Khadakwasla dam, a lifeline for Pune city, has seen a glimmer of hope with the recent surge in water levels. After experiencing satisfactory rains in the catchment area over the last three-four days, the water storage has now reached 60 percent of its total capacity. However, the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has decided not to withdraw the water cut just yet. Commissioner Vikram Kumar stated that a comprehensive review will be conducted in the first week of August before considering any changes.

As of Monday evening, the collective water storage in four dams, including Khadakwasla, Panshet, Vasargaon, and Temghar, stands at 17.21 thousand million cubic feet (TMC), indicating the 60 percent mark. A similar time last year, the dams held 20.48 TMC (70 percent) of water.

This year, the inflow is approximately three TMC less compared to the previous year. With a decrease in water levels during the scorching summer and a forecast of below-average rainfall, the PMC had imposed a water cut in the city, resulting in insufficient and low-pressure water supply in various areas. As a consequence, residents have been left grappling with the situation, resorting to expensive water tankers to meet their daily needs.

While the recent rains have brought some relief, the Khadakwasla dam still lacks 40 percent of its full capacity. Sustained heavy rainfall is required to fill the dam to 100 percent. As a result, the PMC has adopted a cautious approach, opting to wait for further developments.

Currently, the Khadakwasla dam project has achieved 60 percent water storage, and the remaining 40 percent needs to be filled. If the current weather patterns continue, there is optimism that the dams will reach their capacity in the coming days. However, a thorough review is scheduled for the first week of August, wherein the decision to withdraw the water cut in Pune city will be addressed.

Commissioner Vikram Kumar assured that the PMC is closely monitoring the situation and will take the necessary action in the best interest of the citizens.

As the monsoon progresses, the PMC hopes to see further improvement in water levels, bringing much-needed relief to the city’s water woes. Citizens are advised to stay updated with the PMC’s official announcements regarding the water cut status and follow water-saving practices to contribute to the sustainable management of this valuable resource.

You might also like
Leave a comment