Pune News | Agitation against drive against illegal structures; MP Shrirang Barne, three others acquitted
PIMPRI: Policenama online – Pune News | Shiv Sena MP from Maval Shrirang Barne, Bhagwan Valhekar, BJP’s Eknath Pawar, Namdev Dhake have been acquitted in a case concerning an agitation against unauthorised constructions in Pimpri Chinchwad. (Pune News)
The issue of illegal constructions in Pimpri Chinchwad had come to the fore 12 years ago. The civic administration had started demolishing unauthorised constructions and some citizens and daily wagers were going to become homeless. A huge morcha was taken out against the civic body’s action to the Vidhan Bhavan in Mumbai and Nagpur. Morchas were also carried out to PCMC and PCNTDA offices. FIRs had been registered against MP Shrirang Barne, the then Chief of BJP in PCMC Bhagwan Valhekar, BJP’s Eknath Pawar, Namdev Dhake at Maval and Pimpri police stations for stopping traffic on highway, gathering crowds, leading crowds and violating ban on gatherings.
A trial was underway at Vadgaon and Pimpri courts and hearings were being held since 10 years. Ad Sushil Mancharkar argued in the court that there were faults in the police investigation and lack of effective implementation of the ban on gathering of crowds. The court accepted the argument and acquitted MP Barne and four others.
“An agitation was held to ensure justice for those who had built illegal structures and scrapping of shasti kar (penalty tax). Although I had to approach the courts, I was able to give justice to those who had built illegal structures. We were successful in ensuring that the penalty tax was waived off,” said Shrirang Barne.
- Nine districts receive less than average rainfall this year; Sangli district gets only 44 per cent of average rain
- Woman raped on the pretext of marriage; Incident takes place in Kondhwa
- Pune Faces Hospital Bed Crunch Amidst Rising Viral Infection Cases
- Honey bees attack villagers during immersion of Ganesh idols; More than 150 villagers injured in Bhor taluka
- peeding car crushes three labourers, two seriously injured on Kalyan-Ahmed Nagar highway
- Doctor offers Bacardi to 20-year-old woman, rapes her in his clinic at Narayan Peth
- Accused grabs policeman’s collar and brags of high-level contacts
- Private coaching class teacher sentenced to 15 years’ rigorous imprisonment for raping minor
- Gram Sevak kidnapped after breaking beer bottle in front of his car, Accused take ₹73,000 from him and confine him to farm house
- Former BJP office-bearer dies by suicide in his office